Chances are, it’s been some time since you and your family have enjoyed a summer vacation. Now, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water, the price of gasoline is the highest it’s been since 2008.
According to AAA, gasoline prices were just under $3.00 a year ago. Another AAA survey in April found that 50% of the 1,000 U.S. travelers they surveyed were planning to take a vacation this summer. More than half of those surveyed are considering changing their plans if gas prices get high enough.
This summer, cutting back on flights and accommodations and changing your grandiose plans to something more modest will mean fewer miles on the car and fewer hard-earned dollars spent on gas.
Relax, take a deep breath, and let’s hit the reset button. Staycations and one-tank trips can be a terrific option right now. Things to do within our area, or less than a few miles away, include these exciting attractions, handpicked by Shores & Islands Ohio:
- Cedar Point (which is now “cashless”)
- African Safari Wildlife Park
- Cedar Point Sports Center Adventure & Arcade
- Sports Force Parks
- Jungle Junction
- Kalahari Resorts
- Perry’s Cave Family Fun Center
- Monsoon Lagoon
- Summit Motorsports Park
- Schedel Arboretum & Gardens
- Imagination Station
- Toledo Zoo
- Cleveland Guardians or Toledo Mud Hens baseball game
- Kelleys Island or Put-in-Bay
- Vermilion’s Main Street Beach or Showse Park
- Huron’s Nickel Plate Beach or Lake Front Park
The list is endless! From the sand to record-defining roller coasters, to everything in between, Shores & Islands Ohio has you covered. Check out their website for places to play, eat, explore and just enjoy. You’ll find great ideas that are close to home.
With some establishments adopting “cash only” policies, Experian® – a multinational consumer credit reporting company – outlines the benefits of using credit cards while on vacation. Not only for convenience and safety, but rewards such as cash-back points and miles for every purchase demonstrate using plastic as a smart choice.
Need a credit card in a hurry with good rates and perks?
- The Rewards Visa® Credit Card from VLFCU puts your money to work for you! Earn Bonus Points for every qualifying net dollar you spend with your Rewards Visa®. This card offers additional benefits such as no-cost travel accident insurance, full 24/7 fraud protection, and a 1.99% introductory rate for the first six months, as well as being accepted anywhere, no annual fees, a free balance transfer program, no cash advance fees, and low minimum payments. You can also manage your cards from our mobile app, or make payments in person, online, or over the phone.
- Enjoy the convenience of using your VLFCU Debit Mastercard® to pay for purchases without cash, checks, or credit cards. Funds are automatically deducted from your checking account. Use as an ATM card for quick access to cash when on the go.
- The Visa® TravelMoney Prepaid Card provides all the convenience and security you need. It’s safer than cash, can be used at plenty of ATMs, and offers free travel and emergency assistance services. They are perfect for vacations, business travel, and college students.
Whether traveling near or far, be safe and secure knowing we’ve got you covered wherever you are. Learn more about our card products and how to apply. Better hurry; summer is waiting!